Monday, September 22, 2008

The Awakening: Kate Chopin

Photobucket

I just read this again for the 90th time. It's my favorite book.
Fitting that it should be my first review.
I'm not going to go into any history of the novel. You can do that yourself.


Suffice it to say, I find it amazing. I find it beautiful. Cliche words and I don't care.
The main character, Edna Pontellier, finds that she has been living a life that truly isn't hers. She is married with children and slowly begins to realize her full capabilities as a woman and soul. She awakens emotionally, sexually, somewhat spiritually (in that she finds she is oppressed by it); in addition to awakening to discover who she truly is.

Although these discoveries of self open Edna up to an enlightened world and existence, she is also reminded of all that is impossible in her life which inevitably lead to...
Read it!

It's a Madame Bovary of sorts...but to me, it's so much more beautiful. For anyone who has been moved to tears by a song or the ocean or contemplated leaving it all behind in the name of love, please read this novel and let me know what you think.

No comments: